Make America Rational Again
(a clothing drive, brought to you by the members of the Rational Dress Society)
The Rational Dress Society is pleased to announce our latest initiative: Make America Rational Again! For the next several months, we will be soliciting your gently used, and emphatically discarded Ivanka Trump brand garments, to be recycled into new, 100% Made in the USA, Special Edition JUMPSUITS!
Despite President Trump’s calls to “Buy American, hire American,” over the last several months, more than 53 tons of Ivanka Trump-brand clothing have been imported into the United States from China. Meanwhile, donations of Ivanka Trump brand clothes are up 223% since last year. We, the members of the Rational Dress Society, propose to take those unwanted Ivanka Trump clothes and transform them into something rational: 100% Made in the USA, Special Edition JUMPSUITS! All proceeds from the sale of Special Edition JUMPSUITS will go to support advocacy organizations dedicated to fair labor practices in the United States.
Make America Rational Again will proceed in four stages:
- Phase 1: Collect used Ivanka Trump brand clothing
- Phase 2: Have used Ivanka Trump brand clothing recycled into post-consumer yarn
- Phase 3: Weave post-consumer yarn into new fabric
- Phase 4: Make special edition JUMPSUITS!
The Rational Dress Society is pleased to announce that
PHASE 1 HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN!
To donate your used Ivanka Trump garment to the Rational Dress Society, simply visit one of our many donation centers across the U.S. (please consult the list below.) Alternatively, mail your garment to the Rational Dress Society:
The Rational Dress Society
P.O. Box 50724
Los Angeles, CA 90042
Include a return address with your shipment to receive an official RDS Certificate of Participation!
Don’t know what to do with your used Ivanka Trump clothes? Donate to the Rational Dress Society today!
Once we receive a sufficient number of garments, we will begin the process of recycling them into beautiful, post-consumer yarn. To receive updates on this process of technological transformation, sign up for our mailing list here.
Our new Special Edition Post-Consumer JUMPSUITS will retain the traces of the original garment’s dye, now reconstituted into a beautiful multi-color gradient.
The Rational Dress Society is calling on you, dear comrade! Help us Make America Rational Again!
Official RDS Drop-Off Centers
You may choose to drop-off your used Ivanka Trump brand garments at one of our official drop off locations at a city near you. Alternatively, mail your garment to:
The Rational Dress Society
P.O. Box 50724
5132 YORK BLVD
LOS ANGELES, CA 90042-1716
Women’s Center for Creative Work
2425 Glover Place, Los Angeles, CA, 90031
Monday – Friday, 10am – 7pm
ArtCenter College of Design (South Campus)
870 S. Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105
Monday-Sunday, 9am – 9pm
Institute for Labor Generosity Workers and Uniforms
346 E 3rd Street, Long Beach, CA 90802
Contact for hours: https://www.facebook.com/institute4laborgenerosityworkersuniforms/
The Hyde Park Art Center
5020 S Cornell Ave, Chicago, IL 60615
Monday – Thursday, 9am to 8pm
Friday & Saturday, 9am to 5pm
Sunday, 12 – 5pm
The School of the Art Institute Of Chicago
The Leroy Neiman Center
Sharp Building, 37 S. Wabash Ave., suite 201, Chicago, IL, 60603
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
1125 E Brookside Ave, Suite D8, Door G10, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
Monday – Thursday, 9am – 5pm
Public Space One
120 N. Dubuque St. (Wesley Center lower level)
Iowa City, IA IA 52245
Monday – Saturday 7:30am – 10pm, Sunday 12 – 5pm
Pelican Bomb Gallery X
1612 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard, New Orleans, LA 70113
To arrange drop off, contact Charlie at email@example.com
Sadie Halie Projects
3653 25th Ave, South Minneapolis, MN 55406
31 Bonanza Creek Rd, Santa Fe, NM 87508
Call for drop-off: 505.438.1871
Central Features Contemporary Art
514 Central Ave SW #2, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 11am – 4pm
Freeform Art Space
3012 Cielo Ct., Santa Fe, NM 87507
Saturdays and Sundays 1-5pm
& by appointment
606 South Elm Street, Greensboro, NC 27406
Thursday – Saturday, 1 – 10pm
5501 North Lamar #A-105, Austin, 78751
Monday – Saturday, 10am – 6pm, Sunday 12 – 6pm
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Nancy Nicholas Hall, 1300 Linden Dr Madison, WI 53706
Monday – Friday, 7am – 8pm
Become a Drop-Off Center!
The Rational Dress Society is seeking businesses, non-profit organizations, schools and other institutions to help us Make American Rational Again! Becoming an official drop-off center is simple: all locations will host a small box or other receptacle for the duration of the initiative, and accept individual donations of gently used and vehemently discarded of Ivanka Trump brand clothes. If you are interested in becoming an official RDS Drop-Off Center, please contact the Rational Dress Society at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an official drop-off center, your location and hours will be listed on our website during the donation period. We will provide you with a poster to place on your collection box and an informational PDF describing the project in detail to print and post or hand out. The Rational Dress Society will cover the cost of shipping the donated garments to our Headquarters, where their tags will be removed before they are sent to the shredder!
As an important part of this project, The Rational Dress Society wishes to draw attention to the network of museums, artist-run galleries, community art centers, and libraries that bring Americans together. Join us, comrade, and Make America Rational Again!
The Rational Dress Society answers your frequently-asked questions.
For volunteers, drop-off centers, and rational people everywhere.
1. Ivanka Trump-brand clothing is expensive! The community I serve isn’t the demographic for these garments, so how will a drop-off center at my location help?
Make America Rational Again is as much about building solidarity as it is about collecting clothing. Donald Trump has repeatedly promised to bring back American jobs1, while his daughter sources her Trump-brand products from factories overseas. Many of these factories employ low-wage workers who are subject to numerous labor abuses, including below minimum-wage pay and illegal overtime.
By standing together, we can better express our mutual outrage over an administration that is hypocritical, self-dealing and xenophobic. So, even if your organization doesn’t collect a single garment, shoe, or bracelet, by standing together we are better able to raise our voices against the forces of tyranny and injustice.
Additionally, although Ivanka Trump cultivates an image of luxury and success, her clothes frequently make their way to bargain retailers like TJ Maxx and Walmart (see full list of retailers below.) So don’t be fooled by her posh, manicured branding. She’s trying to pawn off these cheap, poorly-made garments on people like us, comrade!
2. How long will the drop off center need to operate?
The RDS will be collecting used Ivanka Trump Brand clothing for the months of May, June and July of 2017. At the end of July we will reach out to all Make America Rational Again collection centers and coordinate the shipping of all collected garments. The RDS will pay for all shipments of collected clothing to our Chicago headquarters.
3. What will happen once the clothing is collected?
Once all of the clothing is collected from the Make America Rational Again Temporary Collection Centers, the RDS will sort the clothing by fiber content. Current post-consumer textile recycling technology allows for the recycling of like fibers only, 100% cotton and 100% polyester for example. Once the post-consumer fibers are created, they will be spun with virgin cotton. This is necessary due to the shorter fiber length and the weakened strength that is a characteristic of recycled fibers. After the post-consumer blend fibers are spun into yarn, the RDS will commission the Weaving Mill (a Chicago-based weaving collective) to weave new fabric. From the new yardage, the special edition JUMPSUITS will be cut and sewn in house.
4. Where are Ivanka Trump clothes sold? Are they available to consumers in my area?
Ivanka Trump-brand clothing is sold at the following locations2. To check if any of these stores are in your area simply search the locations page of each retailer.
- Bed Bath and Beyond (diaper bags)
- Burlington Coat Factory
- BuyBuy Baby
- Century 21
- DSW (footwear)
- Filene’s Basement
- Heels.com (footwear)
- Hudson’s Bay
- Lord & Taylor
- TJ Maxx
- Perfumania (scent)
- Saks Off Fifth
- Stein Mart
5. How much will the special edition JUMPSUITS cost?
The Rational Dress Society conceives of M.A.R.A. as a vehicle for wealth redistribution. All proceeds from the sale of Special Edition JUMPSUITS will go to support advocacy organizations dedicated to fair labor practices in the United States. In order to raise as much money as possible, the special edition JUMPSUITS will be sold at auction to the highest bidder.
6. Are thrifted garments ok?
Yes! Donations of used Ivanka Trump Brand clothing are up bigly since the election of Donald Trump. Thrift stores are a great place to look for discarded IT brand clothing. When these garments aren’t able to be resold, they frequently end up in landfills. Instead of sending these sad!, misbegotten garments to a landfill, send them to the Rational Dress Society!
7. What if I don’t get any garments donated?
That’s ok! By hosting a temporary clothing collection box you are declaring your solidarity with the forces of rationality everywhere.
8. I really like this project, and I want to participate, but am feeling a general sense of anxiety that I can’t quite explain. Help?
The first chapter in historian Timothy Snyder’s recent book On Tyranny is titled “Do not obey in advance.” He writes:
Most of the power of authoritarianism is freely given. In times like these, individuals think ahead about what a more repressive government will want, and then offer themselves without being asked. A citizen who adapts in this way is teaching power what it can do. Anticipatory obedience is a political tragedy.
Fascist governments count on us to self-censor. Make America Rational Again is a clothing drive and experiment in textile recycling. While it is political in nature, collecting and recycling clothing is not illegal in any way.
9. I really like this project, but cannot have a donation center at my organization, is there any other way I can participate?
Yes! You can help the Make America Rational Again campaign in a number of ways beyond hosting a collection center. You can:
- Help us spread the word! As hard as it is to believe, you may actually know someone who owns a piece of Ivanka Trump brand clothing. This could be an aunt, a cousin, perhaps a college roommate, or a person who sits at a cubicle next to you. Ivanka Trump-brand clothing is (or was) available at mass retailers like Macy’s, TJ Maxx and other mid-tier department stores. Many shoppers do not necessarily go to Macy’s for the brand-name apparel. They they may look for a casual sweater for an upcoming job interview, or a dress for a wedding, and inadvertently pick up a piece from Ivanka’s line. Getting the word out through emails to friends and coworkers, or through social media posting, can help dislodge these apocryphal garments from the backs of closets and propel them into a better, more rational future.
- If you are unable to host a collection center, but have a garment that you would like to donate, simply mail it to our P.O. Box and include a return address so that we can mail you an official RDS Certificate of Participation!
1. In his January 20th inaugural address, Donald Trump called on all Americans to “Buy American, hire American!” This cynical cooptation of the rhetoric of the labor movement insidiously aligns fair labor activism with xenophobic, nationalist sentiments. We at the Rational Dress Society reject the nativist ideology embedded in Trump’s call, just as we reject the artificial and anachronistic borders of the nation-state itself. We declare our allegiance to One World Socialism and will hereafter be united under the Intergalactic Federation of Planets! Workers of the world unite!
2. Locations list pulled from an article published on February 9th by Business Insider.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have about M.A.R.A., the Rational Dress Society, or JUMPSUIT.